Pesto is one of those super simple but massively flavorful and versatile recipes. You can literally throw it on just about anything and it is good. Whether is chicken, pasta, or bread, you really can’t go wrong.
Classically, pesto is basil and pine nuts with some other standard ingredients (you know olive oil, garlic, lemon, and parmesan). Throw everything into a food processor and ta-da! What is great about pesto is that it can be varied in so many ways to create unique flavors. I have seen and made many different variants over time including kale, mint, and parsley.
For this version, I wanted a unique flavor so I went with arugula and spinach as the base greens. I love arugula for pest since it has a naturally peppery bite that I think works really well. As part of the variation, I also went with walnuts instead of the pine nuts; they are cheeper and similarly mild flavored.
One last thing that is awesome about pesto is that it can suite almost any dietary restrictions with only a minor tweak and varying what it is served over. By eliminating the parmesan cheese, pesto by itself is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and even raw! Served over a gluten free pasta, allows you to have classic Italian flavor without worry!
Arugula-Spinach Pesto with Bucatini
- 1 Lb Bucatini
- 1 Cup Arugula
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan grated
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Ball Burrata
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook bucatini per package instructions.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while running the food processor. The desired consistency should be slightly paste-like with all of the ingredients well coated in oil.
- The pesto can be added directly to pasta or warmed slightly in the microwave prior to use.
- Top with walnuts, lemon zest, burrata, and parmesan.