This cocktail is a throwback to our honeymoon in Maui years ago. We spent a week at the Four Seasons; which was absolute heaven and may still be the best hotel experience we have ever had. One of our favorite parts of the hotel was the swim-up bar at the adult pool area. They had many awesome cocktails, but one of Rob’s favorites was a Blueberry Mojito.
It’s not a true “mojito” per se. It doesn’t use rum, which is a perk to me. Rum is just so sugary and with alcohol that doesn’t always create a great mixture. So, its vodka based! If you don’t mind buying it, it uses a mix of regular vodka and some blueberry flavored vodka. If you don’t want to do that just add some extra blueberries.
Overall, this cocktail has a slight sweetness, but the tartness of the blueberry with the sour limes really makes for a great taste. I asked Rob not to add any additional sugar since I don’t like sweet drinks, you could add some sugar, simple syrup, or agave nectar to sweeten up the cocktail; however, I would recommend it without!
The another key difference between this version and the hotel’s is that Rob strains out all of the pulp. Some may argue that this is wrong, but it can get kind of annoying when you want something easy and refreshing to drink. Anyway, Rob did it and I liked it.
Blueberry Vodka Mojito
- 3 Limes juiced
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
- 8 Mint Leaves
- 4 Oz Vodka
- 1 Oz Blueberry Flavored Vodka Optional
- 12 Oz Club Soda
- 1 Oz Simple Syrup Optional
- Add the blueberries, mint, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle the mixture until everything is broken up.
- Add the vodka and fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake for 20-30 seconds.
- With a cocktail strainer (optionally use a mesh strainer as well to filter out the pulp), pour the mixture over fresh ice in a highball glass.
- Top with club soda and garnish with small mint leaves and a lime slice.