This Cauliflower Fried “Rice” recipe is the reason why I love cooking. You can completely transform a traditionally bland but healthy ingredient like cauliflower into a delicious meal. I was pleasantly surprised when my husband asked for seconds and even brought leftovers to work.
What is also great about this recipe is that it is vegan and gluten free in its base form, but you could easily add a protein to it to make it a one stop dinner. Something like chicken is always a good addition since its pretty light, I think beef would just be a bit too heavy.
I actually ran the cauliflower through a food processor myself, which I don’t recommend, by the way, as it makes a huge mess. The little bits of cauliflower seem to get everywhere and stick to just about any surface they touch. Rob was definitely not too happy about having to clean the food processor. The good news is you can now buy it pre-riced in most grocery stores. With it being that easy there is almost no reason not to make this, right?
Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- 1 medium head of cauliflower rinsed and coursely chopped into florets
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 cup frozen diced carrots and peas I used a mixed vegetable bag with peas, carrots, corn and green bean because it was in my freezer
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp hoisin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor, using a cheese grater insert and pulse until the texture of rice.
- Heat sesame oil in a large wok over high heat. If cooking chicken, cook it first and then remove.
- Add the cauliflower "rice" and veggies. Saute for about 5 minutes until the veggies are cooked through and the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce and hoisin and season to taste. Cook an additional minute.