Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes. Its basically a liquid taco and what is not to love about that! The Instant Pot makes it really easy and probably halves the cook time. I like to pack mine with tomatoes and peppers to give it a spicy-sweet taste.
I went with a combination of bell pepper, poblano pepper, and jalapeno for this soup. It provided so much flavor and had a perfect amount of spice. We made a similar version of this with some left over pork once and we didn’t really account for the spices on that and added a bunch more. Let’s just say that it was HOT! Rob’s spice tolerance is a lot higher than it was even a year ago, but it went past what he could handle. So, make sure you understand what you are adding and what how spicy the output will be.
I used whole, bone-in chicken breast because I think it adds a little flavor. To make it a little easier and cleaner you could easily use boneless. This also has the benefit of taking up less space and providing more meat. A lesson learned for me on this one was that 2 bone-in breasts take up a lot of volume in the instant pot and limit the amount of liquid you can use.
Another great thing about this soup, is that with careful selection of toppings it is possible to make this very dietary restriction friendly. Omit the cheese or sour cream topping and diary free (maybe sub in some Guac). You don’t really need to do anything to make it gluten free. And honestly, its pretty hearty even without the chicken so it could even be vegan!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Bone-in Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Yellow Onion finely diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper seeded and diced
- 1 Poblano seeded and diced
- 1 Jalapeno cut in half and seeded
- 14 Oz Can Diced Tomato
- 1 Qt Chicken Stock Optional: Replace some stock with beer
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE on NORMAL. Heat a thin layer of olive oil.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and poblano to the pot and cook until the onion softens about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chicken, tomato, stock, dry spices, and jalapeno. Press CANCEL.
- Put the lid on, Pressure Cook (or MANUAL) on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Press CANCEL when done, and naturally release for 10 minutes. Quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Add it back in and allow to meld for 5 minutes.
- Top the soup with your favorites, I like taco cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips.