These are probably my favorite cookies, they are great all year round but when it comes time to make cookies for the holidays these always end up on my must bake list. Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies, right? I also like to combine that with the oatmeal for that extra something. Chocolate chips and oatmeal just go so well together, I mean think about all of the various granola and chocolate chip combos out there.
I prefer my chocolate chip cookies to have a slight crunch when cool. While I love a gooey warm cookie but I really like a good crispy one, which the oatmeal really helps. To make the cookie a little more holiday season focused, I added some warm spices to the mix to give them a subtle flavor.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 large egg
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats not instant or quick cook
- 1/12 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt optional and to taste
- 1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the sugar and butter in a stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour, oats, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon to the wet mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips last.
- Portion the cookies into roughly 1 inch balls (final cookies are about 2 inches).
- Bake for 15 minutes.