This is another recipe that is loosely inspired by an Ina Garten one. I love a good pasta; unfortunately, tomato sauces are a little harder to innovate. This one started out as her sausage and fennel pasta, but we modified it along the way with some different flavors.
Rob and I really liked the idea of a creamy tomato sauce like Ina’s recipe. To mix it up we added a little shallot with the fennel. The bigger add for us was some sun-dried tomato. I really love them as an ingredient; they have a bit of saltiness and are better than regular tomatoes in my opinion.
This is one of those pastas where a little goes a long way. Its not overly heavy, but its definitely filling. Even Rob, who normally likes a lot of pasta, couldn’t eat seconds. The quick cooking of this recipe makes it a great weeknight option that you can throw together for a family.
Creamy Tomato Pasta
- 1 Lb Italian Sausage
- 1 Lb Rigatoni
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Fennel Bulb finely diced
- 1 Shallot finely diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely diced
- 5 Sun-Dried Tomatoes diced
- 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 1.5 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium heat.
- Boil the water for the pasta, cook to desired doneness, starting about the time the sausage is almost done.
- Add the fennel, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shallot, cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sausage, cook through (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the sun-dried tomato, red pepper flake, and garlic for the last minute.
- Add the creams and tomato paste, bring to a simmer and allow to reduce while the pasta finishes.
- Toss the pasta into the sauce and serve.