Tomato soup is probably my favorite rainy day lunch. Its light but somehow perfectly hearty all at the same time. I personally prefer mine to be pretty smooth with the slightest hint of spice. If I end up having a chunkier can of tomato I will use a stick blender to smooth it out. My recommendation though is to use canned tomato puree over crushed, diced, or whole. It just saves you a lot of work to smooth it out.
The other thing that HAS to go with tomato soup is a grilled cheese sandwich. Ina swears by it, so it has to be good right? I like mine to have really nice grill marks and be crispy, usually with sourdough. I generally use gruyere cheese which I think just makes a great sandwich since its pretty mild. It shreds really easily and melts perfectly. To carry the flavor through I put some of the cheese in my soup when I serve it.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 Yellow Onion Finely Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 28 oz Can Pureed Tomato
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Gruyere Grated
- 2 Slices Sourdough 3/4 in Thick
- 1/2 Tbs Butter Softened
- In a large dutch oven, heat a little bit of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flake and cook for one minute.
- Add the Tomatoes and stock, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Butter the outside of the two bread slices.
- Put the cheese inside.
- Grill each side for about 4-5 minutes until golden and has good marks.
- Cut into strips to serve.