‘Tis the Season for everything pumpkin flavored! It is not officially Fall yet and still feels like Summer in the Northeast. But I am leaning into all the Fall flavors now and cooking with Butternut Squash. Maybe that will help 2020 go faster or at least make it feel more normal. Although I am not a fan of the Pumpkin Spice Latte (I know, blasphemy!), I love adding Fall touches to some of my favorite recipes. Some of my favorite Autumn ingredients are butternut squash, apples, cinnamon, and acorn squash to name a few. If you follow my blog or instagram, be prepared to see a lot more recipes with classic Autumn ingredients!
These last few months have definitely been an adjustment for me, as it has been for most of the world. Not only did I buy my first house with my husband and we are still trying to settle in and figure out what to do with all the space we never had in a two bedroom apartment. We are both also still trying to figure out how to navigate life in this new normal; I have been working remotely since March now and still find myself trying to find a good balance each week between work and life when my office is in my house.
Cooking has helped to keep me sane so far during this strange year. I want to continue to share my recipes to hopefully help someone else find a sense of normalcy right now. So why not start with sharing a recipe with my favorite Fall ingredient: Butternut Squash!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto
- Instant Pot
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 Shallot chopped
- ½ Butternut Squash diced ½ in. pieces
- 1½ cup Arborio rice
- ⅓ cup Bourbon
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 4 Sage Leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE-NORMAL. Add the butter when cold and allow to heat.
- Add shallot. Cook for 2 minutes, just before soft and translucent.
- Add Butternut Squash and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the Arborio. Stir and cook dry for 1 minute (you should smell a nutty rice smell).
- Pour in bourbon. Allow to absorb into rice, around 1-2 minutes
- Add the Stock and Sage Leaves
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot (to cancel the saute function).
- Place lid on the instant pot. Set to MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK) on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Press CANCEL at the end of the pressure cook time. Allow to naturally release for 3-5 minutes depending on desired rice texture then quick release the pressure.
- Once all the pressure is released, open lid and stir risotto thoroughly. Replace lid, allow to sit for an additional 2 minutes.