This Easy Sausage Bolognese is a one of my favorite weeknight go-to meals. Its hearty, flavorful, and can be thrown together in about 30 minutes. I have made many different versions of this to vary up the flavors but this is the one I have settled on as my favorite. Its a little spicy and perfectly creamy.
I will admit that this Bolognese is not exactly the most traditional preparation. A traditional bolognese takes a while to cook and requires a lot of ingredients. This recipe saves a lot of time since I cheat and just use jarred tomato sauce. While I often really like traditional cooking methods, I love a a red meat sauce but I really like being able to have it on a weeknight.
I also prefer to use pork mild Italian sausage as the meat, since its got a lot of really good flavor. But honestly, you could use just about any ground meat you’d like. I also prefer a slightly creamy sauce, but I have added balsamic vinegar before to give it a different flavor.
Easy Sausage Bolognese
- 1.25 Lb Mild Italian Sausage Pork
- 1 Lb Rigatoni
- 1 Fennel Bulb Diced
- 1 Jar Tomato Sauce I use Rao’s Tomato Herb
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1/2 Tbs Fennel Seed Crushed
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 2 oz Heavy Cream
- Bring water in a stock to a boil. Salt the water and cook pasta to taste. Start pasta once the sausage is roughly half cooked.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a skillet, saute pan, or braiser over medium heat. Add the fennel and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up, and cook through, it should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, fennel seed, oregano, and thyme. Cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Add the cream for the last minute of the cook time.
- Add the pasta and toss.