Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love Ina Garten’s chicken recipes? She has so many and they are all amazing. They have also served as such an inspiration for me and I have made so many personal variations. There is a reason she is so well know for these recipes.
My favorite is easily here skillet roast spatchcock chicken (just search my recipes I have 2-3 on here). I love this cooking method, it is fast and fun to do. You can really have a lot of fun with the ingredients and make so many unique flavors.
This time around I wanted something a little crispy. Ina provided the answer with my other favorite roast chicken recipe: her Crispy Mustard Chicken. Its basically a mustard base with a panko-herb crust on it. Normally, she uses leg-thigh combos, but I wanted a whole chicken.
This actually made the recipe a little easier to make. Using the parts typically requires several dishes. With the spatchcock, you just dump everything on the chicken basically. I roasted it over bed of lemon and shallot with some brandy to help deglaze and infuse some flavor.
Ina Garten Roast Chicken Mash-Up
- 3 Lb Whole Chicken spatchcocked
- 2 Oz White Wine
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Grainy Mustard
- 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- 1 Lemon zested and sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Shallot sliced
- 1.5 Cups Panko
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 3 Oz Brandy
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place the lemon slices and shallot on the bottom of a skillet.
- Mix the mustards, vinegar, lemon zest/juice, and wine (with salt and pepper).
- In a food processor, blend up the garlic, thyme, lemon zest, panko and olive oil.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, coat with the mustard mix, and then the panko mix.
- Roast for 45-50 minutes, rotate half way through, and add the brandy for the last 10-15 minutes of cook time.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.