Beef and Barley Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes. That said, I am not sure that I have actually made it before I made it myself before. Thankfully, the Instant Pot makes it super easy to make it in one pot and quickly! The more and more I use the Instant Pot the more I am falling in love with its various capabilities.
Beef and Barley Soup is awesomely hearty and perfect for a cold day or when you are feeling a little under the weather and need a pick-me-up. To add to the heartiness, I made this version with a bit of a unique set of ingredients in my experience. I used Yukon Gold potatoes to give it a that rustic feel that made me think of pot pie. Rob also absolutely hates celery in any form, so I replaced it with leeks which has really become one of my favorite new ingredients.
One lesson I learned while working on this recipe is how to handle the barley. I was initially unsure about just tossing it in for the pressure cook cycle, but found out that if you just try to cook it by itself, it take forever. Turned out, just throw it in the pressure cooking works really well and it absorbs some flavor.
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- 1 Lb Beef Stew Cubes
- 1 Qt Beef Stock
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Leak Cut into Half Moons
- 3 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes 1 Inch cubes
- 2 Carrots Small pieces
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine or Beer
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Cup Barley
- Use the SAUTE-NORMAL function. Put the oil in the pot to heat.
- Add the meat cubes to pot to brown. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes. Remove when complete.
- Add the onion, leek, carrot and potatoes cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add the wine or beer and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add the Worcestershire, broth, thyme, and barley.
- Press CANCEL, install the lid, and PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Natural release pressure for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.