Time for another “the Instant Pot makes it way easier” recipes with these Shredded Chicken Tacos. This basic recipe is based on an old slow cooker one I would make, only now it doesn’t take all day. I love the mix of flavors that goes into this recipe. I basically braise the chicken in beer and citrus with a few other key ingredients for flavor. You really can’t go too wrong.
There really isn’t too much to say about this recipe, its pretty straight forward. I do have a few pieces of advice though. For the beer, I use either a white ale (Dogfish Head Namaste in this case) or a citrusy IPA. I like the lighter beers for this kind of recipe in general. Second, when warming corn tortillas in the oven, make sure to separate them from each other first and don’t leave them in too long. They ended up coming out and almost all of them had just fallen apart. Lesson learned and hopefully passed on to all of you readers.
One last thing and this is completely optional as it takes some extra work and tools. When I shredded the chicken, most of it lacked color. So, I blended up some of the braising liquid and the garlic/onion/peppers to create a bit of a sauce to toss the shredded chicken in. You could just throw it back in the braising liquid, but this gave the flavors a bit more sticking power.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 Bone-in Chicken Breasts
- 12 oz White Ale or IPA
- 1 Orange quartered
- 2 Limes Quartered
- 1 Jalapeno halved length-wise
- 1 Yellow Onion Quartered
- 4 Garlic Cloves smashed
- 3 Canned Chipotle Peppers
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Ancho Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- Corn Tortillas
- Toppings Guac, Salsa, Crema, Cheese, etc.
- Put all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot, ensure the dry ingredients are well mixed with the liquid.
- Cover and cook on MANUAL-HIGH Pressure for 15 minutes.
- Press CANCEL and allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Shred the chicken and either put back in the warm liquid for 5-10 minutes or blend the onion/garlic/peppers with some of the liquid to create a sauce.
- Serve over warmed tortillas with your choice of toppings.