Memorial Day is this weekend and that often means big get togethers. A popular get together option for my family is always the taco spread. You get bowls of all the toppings and let people do what they want with it.
My slow cooker Pork Carnitas are on of my favorite taco meat options. They taste awesome and in reality are pretty simple. That said, trying to get the slow cooker ready in the morning on top of my workout and getting ready for work is a struggle. Enter the Instant Pot!!!!
The Instant Pot take what would otherwise be a 8+ hour cook time and all the headache in the morning into about 1.5 hours. Basically just throw everything you would for my slow cooker version in the thing, set it to pressure cook for about 50 minutes, and DONE.
Now a taco is nothing without the toppings, right? So here are links to some of my favorite taco topping favorites. Ive got multiple kinds of salsa, guac, corns, etc. There is sure to be something that everyone can enjoy!
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- 1 heaping tsp cumin
- 1/2 heaping tsp chili powder
- 1/2 heaping tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
- pinch of cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 3 lb pork shoulder
- 1 12 oz. Beer preferably lighter color like wheat or IPA
- 1 Orange halved and juiced
- 2 limes halved and juiced
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 1 Jalapeno halved (remove the ribs and seeds for less heat)
- 2 large garlic cloves crushed
- Combine the spice mix and rub over the meat.
- Place the meat and other ingredients in the Instant Pot. Pressure Cook on HIGH for 50 minutes and allow for a 15 minute natural release (press Cancel at end of pressure cook and allow to sit).
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Release the remaining pressure manually.
- Remove the pork and shred. Placed on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 10 minutes to crisp up a bit.