This BBQ Pulled Pork was the first thing we made when we brought our Instant Pot home. We figured this would be a good test of the features we were most hoping to take advantage of. So we picked up some pork shoulder and threw together a quick recipe to test it out.
I have to say, the Instant Pot validated itself pretty quickly with this one. What normally takes all day in a slow cooker took about an hour and a half start to finish! One perk: the pot really kept all of the flavor and aroma trapped in the pot when pressure cooking. While you may miss out a bit on the aroma during cooking, when you release the pressure, all of that aroma gets released in one shot!
We cooked the meat in a combination of beer, mustard, stock, and homemade BBQ sauce. Rob chose a porter (we used Kona Brewing) for the beer to fit the winter season and the BBQ sauce was a relatively basic tomato-molasses sweet style. You could use a store bought BBQ sauce to save time and effort, you will need about 1.5-2 cups. Overall, the sauce packed a lot of flavor that will be perfect year round!
We ultimately ate the meat as part of our annual New Years Eve small bites dinner. Every year, we like to make a sort of running meal of appetizer-like dishes that we can snack on all night to help keep us up. We made some cups out of Phyllo dough and filled them with the meat and topped with some slaw.
Either as sandwiches or in the cup form this pulled pork is also perfect for a game day party! The Super Bowl is coming up and this would be a great way to feed a crowd pretty quickly. The cups are fun since they serve as a perfect 2-bite app, and they were pretty clean to eat!
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- 2 Lb Pork Shoulder
- 12 Oz Bottle/Can Porter
- 1 Tbs Grainy Mustard heaping Tbs
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1.5 Cups BBQ Sauce Recipe Below or Store Bought
- Salt & Pepper
- 1.5 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/8 Cup Molasses
- 1 Tbs Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pat the pork dry and salt/pepper.
- Use the SAUTE function on the Instant Pot on the MORE setting. Sear each side for about 2 minutes to brown. Remove from the pot.
- Add the beer to deglaze and turn off the Instant Pot by hitting CANCEL. Add the broth, mustard, and BBQ sauce quickly while still hot. Stir to combine.
- Add the pork back in, close the lid, and using either the MEAT-HIGH-MORE or MANUAL-HIGH-45min setting pressure cook.
- Use a 10 minute natural release and then quick release the pressure.
- Shred the meat and add it back in to the sauce in the pot. Allow to soak up the juice for 10-15 minutes as the liquid cools.
- Serve from the pot or store for later.