Now that Memorial Day Weekend is in the past its time to start getting back to more of my classic cooking (don’t worry though, I will have more weekend/potluck/cookout recipes coming soon). I’m kicking off this return to normalcy with these Mustard-Lemon Braised Chicken Thighs. They were on the heartier side without being heavy really bringing some great summary flavors to one of my favorite winter dishes.
The flavors in this one were a bit of a hodgepodge of ideas. Mustard and lemon form the backbone obviously and are pretty traditional flavors for us. I had actually gotten to the point where I stopped using mustard in recipes because it was feeling repetitive. Thankfully, its been a while and I felt it was time for the dijon to make a comeback.
To that sort of French base flavor, I went with dill and capers to round out the ingredients to bring a big pop of freshness and some brine. Its a combination of flavors that I haven’t really seen much with chicken and definitely not when combined with the mustard.
I added the capers as a bit of a last minute call when I saw them in my fridge and thought about how well dill and capers pair (I mean its a pretty common brunch or fish pairing).
We also kept this overall pretty simple. We cut out wine in favor of chicken stock to avoid additional ingredients and to avoid the added temptation to drink it. Honestly, the shear amount of flavor in the other ingredients didn’t really need the wine.
Mustard-Lemon Braised Chicken
- 4 Chicken Thighs patted very dry and excess skin removed
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 4 Garlic Cloves smashed
- 1 Lemon sliced
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 Tbs Dill minced
- 1 Tbs Dijon heaping tbs
- 1 Tbs Grainy Mustard heaping tbs
- 1.5 Tbs Capers
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the butter over medium-high heat in a sauce pan or other lidded wide pan.
- Salt and pepper the skin side of the chicken.
- Cook the chicken skin side down for about 5-6 minutes and golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the lemon juice, followed quickly by the mustards, capers, and dill.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the lemon slices for another minute.
- Add the stock, allow the mixture to come to a simmer.
- Add the chicken back in, cover the pan, and place in the oven for 45 minutes.