As always, cocktails are brought to you by my husband, Rob. I have mentioned my love of Bourbon cocktails on here before. Typically, I like a classic whiskey sour, but we didn’t quite have the right ingredients. So, Rob improvised a little bit and we ended up with an interesting cross between a Sour and an Old Fashioned.
A tart cocktail is my ideal and Rob has occasionally made them too sweet. We had some oranges in our fridge that Rob used, but oranges tend to be sweeter than other citrus. So, I asked Rob to go easy on the simple syrup. Rob also remembered we had some Aromatic bitters in the liquor pantry to offset the sweetness.
Rob garnished this with some tarragon which has a unique flavor. Its an excellent pairing with orange and adds some brightness to the cocktail without sweetening it at all.
Orange-Tarragon Old Fashioned
- 4 Oz Bourbon
- 2 Oz Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 Oz Simple Syrup
- 2-3 Dashes Aromatic Bitters Angostura or other
- 2 Sprig Tarragon 3-4 leaves
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the tarragon in a cocktail shaker, then fill with ice.
- Shake for 20-30 seconds.
- Crush the tarragon gently with you fingers, do not break it up. Place the tarragon in a chilled glass.
- Strain the cocktail into the glasses.