These Oven Roasted Potatoes are a tradition for Rob. They were a big dinner staple growing up and he routinely makes them now for special occasions. The recipe is fairly simple; however, the daunting thing about them is the timing and the fact that they take up the oven.
At its core, this recipe is actually probably about as basic as you can get. Chop some potatoes into smallish pieces, coat them in olive oil, toss in some garlic and herbs, and roast. As I mentioned, the hardest aspect is the timing. This recipe can take between 30-50 minutes to complete depending on size, pan, and oven temp which makes it tough to pair. Also, you can’t necessarily cook everything with it. Taking up the oven for a side dish at a relatively high temperature means you need a stove top entree typically.
I recommend trying to find the small Yukon gold potatoes. Mainly this is because they are easier to slice into even sizes, while still maximizing the amount of outer skin left on each piece. The original recipe called for a short (30 second to 1 minute) blanch; that was too much work. Now, Rob just rinses them in some hot water from the sink and then dries them. This helps remove any surface starch and prevents steaming.
The most recent time we made this we discovered a little trick that I think worked out perfectly. Use a skillet if possible to do the roasting. When you want crispy potato skin, moisture and steaming are your enemy. Looking back at previous attempts, we had been using relatively high walled roasting pans. This likely trapped a lot more moisture and led to slightly softer potatoes.
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 2-5 Lb Yukon Gold Potatoes cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces with skin on
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary or Thyme 2 with leaves pulled off and 1 whole
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves well crushed
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Rinse the cut potatoes under hot running water for about a minute, shaking the colander to help scrub.
- Either hand dry or allow the potatoes to drip/air dry for 10 minutes
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, herbs, and garlic (with salt/pepper) over a medium-low heat. Allow to heat for 2-3 minutes and the garlic and herb aromas are released.
- Add the potatoes, toss/stir to coat in the olive oil.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring 1-2 times. Skin should be crispy and golden brown with a soft interior.
- Lightly salt at the end.