Shrimp are probably one of the ingredients that I am most iffy on (I have only tried them once or twice). Maybe it was too many times growing up having over-cooked shrimp. I’m sure you know what I am talking about, those chewy/rubbery examples that don’t taste like anything. Plus, I wasn’t a fan of seafood in general until relatively recently. The key for shrimp for me is a good flavor and the perfect cooking. So some grilled shrimp skewers were a little new for me!
One thing I will recommend: if you can just buy the peeled and deveined shrimp. We bought some really good looking shell on shrimp at Wegmans. I ended up tasking Rob to take care of prepping the shrimp, which he said was pretty annoying to do. Not hard, but a little time consuming. So, just buy them pre-done if you can it will make a shrimp skewer recipe much easier.
Something that was super easy and cheaper, start with a whole pineapple. You want the pineapple to be more yellow in color and the leaves should pull out easily. In a post-COVID world, the other way to tell is that the bottom end should smell sweet.
All you need to due is shave the skin off the pineapple and from there you can quarter in and cut out the core from the corners.
So, to the flavor: jalapeno and lime. We were going to use these for tacos, but honestly this made fora great marinade in general. Its light with a slight sweetness, but a nice kick. They only need to marinade for a little bit as the acid starts to cook them a bit.
For the shrimp skewers, I wanted a good balance of flavors. So I added a little red onion and pieces of pineapple. Make sure to soak wooden skewers in water first to hydrate them, otherwise they will just burn right away.
The great part about shrimp is that they cook super fast. We threw them on the grill at a high heat (like 400-425F) for about 3-4 minutes per side and PERFECT! The fact that they cook quickly though means you need to have everything else prepped and ready to go. So plan ahead and make other dishes while the shrimp marinades or just go pre-made store bought. My guacamole recipe is linked here.
Jalapeno-Lime Shrimp Skewers
- 1 Lb Shrimp peeled and deveined
- Pineapple cut into 1 in cubes
- Red Onion cut into 1 in pieces
Cilantro Lime vinaigrette
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1-2 Tbsp Cilantro chopped
- 1/2 Jalapeño minced
- 2/3 Cup avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a measuring cup mix together lime juice, garlic, cilantro and jalapeño.
- Slowly whisk in oil until dressing is emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish or ziplock bag add vinaigrette to shrimp and allow to marinate for up to four hours.
- Soak the skewers in water prior to skewering.
- When ready to cook, skewer shrimp, pineapple, and onion pieces on wooden skewers
- Place on preheated grill to around 400F.
- Cook for 3 minutes on each side.