Lasagna is one of those comfort food classics that everyone probably grew up eating. Whether it was a Stoffer’s frozen version, a local favorite, Costco, or homemade, most kids probably had some version. Lasagna is probably the one of the more versatile and far reaching casserole classics. A traditional casserole style is great because it feeds a crowd and you can even make it ahead as a freezer meal.
While delicious and classic, what has always made me dislike lasagna is the effort required. Individually the elements are pretty easy to make: meat sauce, pasta, and a cheese mix. The problem has always been the assembly; having to make all of the layers is just a bit of a pain. Handling hot pasta and trying to get good layers tends to drive me nuts.
To make the whole thing easier, I went for a skillet version. It allowed me to save a dish as I could just start with a layer of the meat sauce in the same pan I made it in. The other benefit was the portion size was better for two to four people. This is especially true if you don’t want or need a lot of leftovers taking up space.
I used a mixture of pork sausage and ground beef to make this. The ground beef was because I had some left over ground beef and I generally like pork Italian sausage for the flavor. Lasagna is great though since its really not meat dependent, just about anything will work (except maybe fish). Chicken sausage serves as a great sub if you wanted to mix it up.
One lesson we learned was that we needed to make a little bit more of the sauces. We were struggling a bit to make good layers with the amount we had. Therefore, I would recommend at least a solid 1.5 pounds of meat and probably 20-24 ounces of ricotta.
- 1.5 Lb Ground Meat I used Italian Sausage and Beef
- 24 oz Jar Tomato Sauce
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 3/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 24 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Grated
- 1 Egg mixed
- 1 Tbs Parsley minced
- Salt/Pepper to taste
10-12 Lasagna Noodles
- Boil water for the pasta, you will want to cook the pasta about 2-3 minutes less that package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the ground beef, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, pepper, and oregano and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, reduce heat to medium low, and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the cheese mix.
To assemble the lasagna:
- Remove about 2/3 of the meat mix from the skillet.
- Place a layer of pasta over the meat, rip or cut the pasta to fit.
- Place an even layer of the cheese mix over the pasta.
- Place about another 1/3 of the meat mix over the cheese.
- Add another layer of pasta, trimmed to fit.
- Top with another layer of meat.
- Top with the remaining the remaining cheese mix.
- Top with a sprinkling of mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.