So, I will admit that I don’t shop at Trader Joe’s that often. For whatever reason, that seems rare for my generation. This is not because I don’t like TJ’s; honestly I actually always find really good things there. It’s actually often a good place to consistently find some odd ingredients. It’s really just out of inconvenience. Its a bit of a hike; I have to drive past at least 3 other grocery stores to get there (not counting the Whole Foods I live above).
When it looked like we were going to be placed under a stay home order, we decided to make a TJ’s run. We picked up a large number of frozen things, which are always one of the highlights of any TJ’s. Anyway one of the ones we randomly picked up was the Gnocchi al Gorgonzola packs.
This is one of those frozen pasta bags that was intended to be thrown into a skillet and heated through. Based on my experience with it, it would likely have been heavy and rich. Probably really good, but not what I wanted. So we decided to use a bunch of other random things we had and make this a bit more interesting.
So I found some Italian sausage, brussels sprouts, shallot, and red pepper flake. This created a bit of balance in the dish with little depth and helped cut the strong tanginess of the gorgonzola. We did include a little half and half to help cut the sauce a bit as it was very thick.
The basic bagged dish from TJ’s needed the sprouts to add a little color, while the shallot and pepper added a nice depth while the sausage just worked well for general flavor compliments.
I will definitely be doing some more of these elevated TJ’s finds recipes because honestly they are super easy and pretty fun!
Trader Joe’s Gorgonzola Gnocchi
- 1 Bag Trader Joe’s Gnocchi al Gorgonzola
- 1/2 Lb Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Lb Brussels Sprouts quartered
- 1 Shallot finely diced
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss the Brussels Sprouts in olive oil and salt/pepper.
- Roast the Sprouts for ~20 minutes and well browned.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the sausage for about 8 minutes, breaking it into ~1 inch chunks.
- Remove the sausage and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook the shallot for 2-3 minutes. Add the pepper flake for the last minute.
- Add the contents of the Trader Joe’s pack and allow the sauce to melt.
- Once mostly melted add the Half & Half.
- Add the sausage and sprouts at the end and toss.